Thursday, April 7, 2011

Which should I choose?


I recently had someone ask me a really great question, it went something like this:

"I'm trying to establish my business in the social media and digital world. I'm overwhelmed by it all and sometimes I really don't know where to start. I mean I see people posting all day, every day and I don't have the time to do that! Do I have to be on Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Youtube and Myspace just to be seen?!"

In my personal experience I see a lot of people jump in head first and create a page on every single platform then they are overwhelmed with trying to create content. So inevitablly all the pages fall behind and become stagnant, which is social media suicide. Remember creating a social media strategy takes time and it takes patience (which is still difficult for me to embrace at times!).

This is my advice, if you are going to do something, do one thing well versus five things half-way. What I mean by this is don't jump into Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Youtube and Myspace all at once. In the begining choose a single platform or pehaps two platforms where you feel comfortable and you know your audience will be. Don't try to be everywhere at once if that's not what you feel comfortable doing. Remember social media is about socializing and being authentic. If you are scattered and not paying attention to your audiences they will notice, and then you just defeated the purpose of being on the social media platform.

You may notice that some people and some companies are everywhere all the time in social media. People like myself are dedicated to posting because it's our passion. I am addicted to social media. I admit it. I love it. It's easy for me to sit and converse online for hours at a time that's why I love maintaining multiple platforms. But if you're not addicted to social media, don't feel like you have to be everywhere all at once.

Think of it this way. If you have five sites that are poorly taken care of and fans scattered out across all of the platforms, how do you expect to build relationships? Many fans will stop coming to your pages and will stop interacting with you because you aren't reliable. It is much more beneficial to have a substanial presence in one space where you focus on building strong meaningful client relations.