Thursday, June 11, 2009

Interesting Day

Went to court this morning for a juvenile transfer hearing, it was a very somber experience. The entire morning was spent talking about how the 17 year old boy that robbed my friend was not intelligent enough to be tried as an adult. Basically he dropped out of school in 9th grade. His parents both did the same. He has the reading ability of a 2nd grader. I watched his mom testify and I actually felt sorry for him. This kid never had a chance. But that does not justify his actions. I truly do not believe that his lack of reasoning ability has anything to do with his ability to tell right from wrong. Yes, I would like to see him rehabilitated but the statistics are not in that favor. I do not envy the judge in this situation. I honestly don't know what I would do. It's such a tough issue.